Aphelinus-System – reliable control of large aphid species
Why this parasitic wasp is so powerful
- Widely employed to control potato aphid (Macrosiphum euphorbiae) and foxglove aphid (Aulacorthum solani).
- Highly efficient – Aphelinus abdominalis controls aphid adults and nymphs
- Long term activity – longer lifespan compared to other parasitic wasps
- Stays put – wasp stays locally active, doesn’t swarm
- Withstands higher summer temperatures - compared to other wasp species
- Also host-feeds – adult wasps also feed on small aphid species contributing to control.
How does Aphelinus-System achieve such good control?
- Female wasp punctures host and lays egg inside the aphid host
- Parasitised aphids clearly visible -as black mummies
- Each parasitic wasp can control 5-10 aphids/day (up to 250 in total)