Our mission is to contribute to global sustainable production of high-value crops by being the most reliable partner in biological crop protection and pollination.
Discover our milestones
Roland de Jonghe – veterinarian & bumblebee enthusiast sets up Biobest.
In 1987, veterinarian Roland De Jonghe started breeding bumblebees in his own garage to pollinate tomatoes organically. He was fascinated by the wonderful world of bumblebees used as biological pollinators, an alternative to manual pollination.
Demand takes off
Bumblebees demand from tomato growers takes off – thanks to labour cost, yield & quality improvements.
Export award received from Prince Albert II.
Import ban leads to first subsidiary
North America bans bumblebee imports-Biobest Canada Ltd founded.
- Joint ventures in Morocco and Turkey.
- First biopesticide registration.
Biobest Sistemas Biologicos SL (Spain) founded.
Biobest France SARL founded.
Biocontrol sales soar
Biocontrol sales overtake bumblebee sales.
Roland de Jonghe leaves Biobest and new owners, Floridienne, come on board.
Biobest Mexico SA de CV founded.
Expansion in America
Biobest USA Inc. and Biobest Argentina SA founded.
Biobest China Ltd. founded.
Biobest Nederland BV created and Bug Factory Ltd. Canada acquired.
- Biobest UK founded.
- Sales reach €50 million.
30-year anniversary - busy year for acquisitions
- Acquires Real IPM Kenya Ltd (Kenya), Borregaard Bioplant ApS (Denmark), Biobasiq Sverige AB (Sweden), IMEX SA de CV (Mexico), IVOG Biotechnical Systems Gmbh (Germany), Symbiose Protection Biologique (France).
- Real IPM Tanzania founded.
- 30-year anniversary.
Export Lion, new capital investment & additional expansion
- Winner of export Lion.
- €10 million investment from Mérieux to fuel expansion
- Acquires majority share in Yad Mordechai Pollination Services (Israel), acquires BKS AS (Turkey) and stake in Bugs for Bugs Pty Ltd (Australia).
- Sales reach €100 million.
Acquires majority stake in Pollinering AS.
North American expansion & major award
- Acquires Beneficial Insectary Inc.
- Eupeodes-System wins Bernard Blum Award.
- Acquires majority stake in subsidiary Biological Services (Australia). Biological Services joins forces with BioResources.
- Invests in Arugga and gains distribution of pollination robots in US/Canada.
- Strategic partnership with Biotalys.
New capital investment, acquisitions & prestigious award
- New investment from Sofina to leverage growth.
- Micromus-System wins GreenTech Innovation Award. Pronemite wins Bernard Blum Award.
- Sales reach €300 million.
- Acquisitions - invests in Plant Products (Canada) and Biopartner sp z.o.o. (Poland).
- Acquires Agronologica Unip Lda (Portugal).
Capital investment and further UK & US expansion
- €98.5 million investment from Sofina to leverage further growth.
- Fully acquires Real IPM UK.
- Subsidiary Beneficial Insectary Inc (USA) acquires distributor Sierra Biological Inc.
- Biobest completes acquisition of BioWorks (North America)
- Biobest steps up presence in Austria through acquisition of Agrotech Gartenbautechnik Gmbh
- Biobest signs agreement with Aqua Capital and GIC to acquire Biotrop in Brazil
As Biobest Group we operate under the following brands: